It may surprise people to learn that 25% of those who die every year in the US are Veterans. To honor them in regards to the health care they need, Home Health United has partnered with “We Honor Veterans”, a pioneering campaign developed by the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization in collaboration with the Department of Veterans Affairs. Home Health United is implementing ongoing Veteran-centered education for staff and volunteers to help improve care provided to Veterans we proudly serve.
While “We Honor Veterans” is typically for hospice, Home Health United is implementing the program across our home care and palliative care service lines as well. As part of our initiative to better serve our nations Veterans, Home Health United would like to invite members of the community to learn more about how to meet the unique needs of Veterans in their lives.
We will be holding educational presentations open to anyone in the community interested in learning more about the unique needs of Veterans and the challenges they may be facing from illness, isolation or traumatic life experience. The program will cover how military culture & combat can influence the delivery of health care, the unique experiences Veterans faced in our nations wars and conflicts, as well as, how to utilize techniques such as respectful inquiry, compassionate listening and grateful acknowledgement to comfort those with a history of military service who may be dealing with physical or psychological trauma.
Presentations will be held:
- Tuesday, August 26, 2014 at Oak Park Place in Baraboo (800 Waldo Street). RSVP by 8/22.
- Thursday, August 28, 2014 at Home Health United – Portage (2888 Village Road). RSVP by 8/26.
- Tuesday, September 9, 2014 at Home Health United – Madison East (2802 Walton Commons Lane). RSVP by 9/5.
- Thursday, September 11, 2014 at Home Health United – Janesville (3700 E. Racine Street). RSVP by 9/9.
- Wednesday, September 17, 2014 at Home Health United’s Medical Equipment Store in Platteville (1155 N. Elm Street). RSVP by 9/15.
All presentations will be held from 4:30-5:30pm and light refreshments will be served. Please RSVP by emailing Sherri at SAnderson@hhuvns.org.
Veterans committed their lives, health & well-being to mission success in defense of our country. Now we can help them be mission ready for their lives, optimizing their health in service of what matters to them. We will identify success when veterans achieve outcomes they never even imagined possible.
You can find more information on the “We Honor Veterans” program at WeHonorVets.org.Continue Reading